Food as Medicine: New Treatment for Pain and Depression at MDABC
MDABC's Food as Medicine Program
Please note that we are currently accepting new patient referrals for the Food as Medicine program from any geographic region.
- Do you have chronic Pain, Depression, Bipolar Disorder or Anxiety?
- Do you often feel fatigued or experience “brain fog?”
- Do you feel that your brain just isn’t working the way it used to?
Research shows that mood disorders and pain disorders have something in common: chronic inflammation. Researchers now believe that inflammation is one of the root causes of both pain and mood disorders.
Luckily, there is something you can do about this. The Standard Western Diet is one of the top causes of inflammation and chronic disease. Most North Americans are not getting the nutrients, minerals and vitamins needed for optimal brain health. They are eating foods that turn on inflammatory genes and cause damage to their body and brains.
If you are interested in understanding and treating the root cause of your mood and/or pain disorder, MDA is offering an 8-week group medical visit with a psychiatrist and naturopath to investigate why you might be inflamed and what you can do about it.
This group medical visit will provide a personalized examination of ALL the causes of chronic inflammation. It will explore how different systems in your body may be out of balance and preventing you from healing.
As part of the group treatment, each individual will have blood tests to assess for underlying imbalances and nutritional deficiencies that are contributing to illness. Supplements and medications will be prescribed as indicated. You will be taught which foods cause harm to your body and how to use food as medicine.
The group program meets once a week for 8 weeks. Each group is 1 hour 45 minutes.
This group is suitable for patients with any of the following diagnoses:
- Bipolar disorder
- Chronic Fatigue syndrome
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Joint Pain or arthritis
- Autoimmune pain disorders
- Migraines or recurrent chronic headaches
Individuals that may want to consider the group include:
1. Those with mild to moderate mood disorders that prefer to start diet, natural supplements and lifestyle interventions rather than prescription medication.
2. Individuals with a mood disorder that are currently stable on medication and have made a plan with their psychiatrist to decrease their medication. The group is recommended prior to reducing medication so that diet, natural supplements and lifestyle interventions can be used to reduce the risk of relapse.
3. Individuals with mood disorders that are only partially improving with medication or are not responsive to medication who want to try food as medicine, natural supplements, AND are open to making dietary changes.
4. Individuals with any of the above pain disorders that are interested in using food as medicine, natural supplements, AND are open to making dietary changes.
Physician referrals are required to attend the group medical visits. Each person will be scheduled for a 30-minute consultation with the psychiatrist running the group prior to acceptance to ensure that the group is a good fit for the individual.
If you are a physician who would like to refer a patient to the Food, Mood and Pain Program, click here to download the referral form.